Download the full version of the article (in PDF format)
O. M. Bordun, I. O. Bordun, I. M. Kofliuk, I. Yo. Kukharskyy, I. I. Medvid, Zh. Ya. Tsapovska, D. S. Leonov
«Effect of Activator Concentration on the Morphology of Thin Films of Y\(_2\)O\(_3\):Eu Obtained by Radio-Frequency Sputtering»
PACS numbers: 68.35.Ct, 68.37.Ps, 68.49.Sf, 68.55. J-, 72.20.-i, 78.70.Gq, 81.15.Cd
Thin Y\(_2\)O\(_3\):Eu films with activator concentrations of 1, 2.5, and 5 mol.% are obtained by radio-frequency (RF) ion–plasma sputtering. A study of the surface morphology of thin films by atomic force microscopy (AFM) show that, with an increase in the activator concentration, the average size of the crystalline grains forming the films increases. Based on the analysis of the results of grain-size distribution, it is found that, at activator concentrations of 1 and 5 mol.%, monomodal distributions are observed, and, at an activator concentration of 2.5 mol.%, a bimodal distribution is observed due to the growth of secondary grains. An analysis of the lognormal dependence is carried out that is used to describe the size distribution of crystalline grains.
Keywords: yttrium oxide, thin film, nanocrystallite, lognormal distribution
1. N. Yamamoto, Cathodoluminescence (Croatia: InTech: 2012).
2. Q. Dai, M. E. Foley, C. J. Breshike, A. Lita, and G. F. Strouse, J. Am. Chem.Soc., 133, No. 39: 15475 (2011).
3. P. Packiyaraj and P. Thangadurai, J. Luminescence, 145: 997 (2014).
4. C. Shanga, X. Shang, Y. Qu, and M. Li, Chem. Phys. Lett., 501, Nos. 4–6: 480(2011).
5. O. M. Bordun, I. O. Bordun, I. Yo. Kukharskyy, Zh. Ya. Tsapovska, and EFFECT OF ACTIVATOR ON THE MORPHOLOGY OF THIN FILMS OF Y 2 O 3 :Eu 725M. V. Partyka, J. Appl. Spectrosc., 84, No. 6: 1072 (2018).
6. H. M. Abdelaal, A. Tawfik, and A. Shaikjee, Mater. Chem. Phys., 242: 122530(2020).
7. E. V. Berlin and L. A. Seydman, Ionno-Plazmennyye Protsessy vTonkoplenochnoy Tekhnologii (Moscow: Tekhnosfera: 2010) (in Russian).
8. O. M. Bordun, I. O. Bordun, and I. Yo. Kukharskyy, J. Appl. Spectrosc., 82,No. 3: 390 (2015).
9. C. V. Thompson, Sol. State Phys., 55: 270 (2001).
10. C. V. Thompson, J. Appl. Phys., 58: 763 (1985).
11. P. Holgate, Comm. in Stat. Theory and Meth., 18, No. 12: 4539 (1989).